The Doug Saxton Memorial Scholarship
The Tualatin Valley Community Band established the Doug Saxton Memorial Scholarship Fund in 1997. This scholarship honors the Band's first board president, and serves as a memorial to Band members who were taken from us.
Doug Saxton was a founding member of the band in the clarinet section, and served as board president until his passing in 1997. Kara Zander was a young clarinet player just starting her adult life until a tragic accident in 2002.
Doug was a strong believer in education, and Kara was on her way to becoming a teacher. We feel that this scholarship is the most appropriate way we can keep the memory of our friends alive.
The Saxton Memorial Scholarship is open to anyone who:
- Is a graduating high school senior,
- Is a member, past member, or son or daughter of a member of the TVCB, or a member of the Tigard HS or Tualatin HS band,
- Is currently participating in a music program,
- Plans to attend college in the fall,
- Has demonstrated an ongoing interest in music, and
- Expresses a desire to continue an interest in music.
Grades are a minor consideration. Financial need is not a consideration. The decisions of the scholarship committee are final.